Sunday 1 July 2012

Sophie Xu





Philadelphia, PA























What excites you most about art and photography?

I get excited when art can change my perspective on certain things or simply when something is so beautifully captured that there are no words for it but you have to just admire it.


You work with your friends as models. Do you develop the concepts behind your projects together with them as well?

I work progressively. Sometimes, well most of the times, I don't plan any concepts and just capture what I see. Sometimes we do work together during the shoots and then the ideas and concepts form on their own.


Why did you choose to shoot your project ".minimalism" in black and white?

The short answer—because I had to. It was a class assignment and there were certain limitations I had with a Hasselblad medium format camera. 
The long answer—that was when I started to see myself as a photographer and the project helped me tone my skills and find my style of photography. And shooting in black and white helped the look and feel that I was going for in this project - quiet yet more dramatic than if it was to be shot in colour.


What’s your series ".ny, ny // march 2011" about?

I rarely visited home when I was away for college and I went back to New York during that time. 


You were born in Paris. Do you go back there at times?

I wish! I left Paris and came to the United States when I was five years old. I have a few memories of when I was in Paris. Like the time when I was at a beach in Paris during a school trip. I remember it was hot that day. I remember seeing old ladies lying on their towels, getting their tan on. Then fast forward, my head is under the water, being held down by a little boy. That was a very traumatizing experience, so that I still don't know how to swim. But anyways, I would love to go back there one day!


Does engaging in photography help you in your pursuit of "finding yourself"?

Definitely! It's a way of expressing myself without using words. I don't like words - words can be very complicated.


You studied graphic design. Do you ever feel like you have to choose between photography and design?

There was a time when I felt like I had to. But now I know how to pair the two in my work and personal life. 


Do you like collaborating with other artists or do you prefer to work alone?

Until now, I haven't collaborated with other artists really. I would like to.


What are your plans for summer 2012?

My plan for summer 2012 is to just enjoy the summer and of course, to photograph more! I have an upcoming solo show in a few weeks (July 6th), so I am looking forward to that.






Sanity or insanity? Take a look at her work!






No comments: