Saturday 10 November 2012

Hannes Lippert









Berlin, Germany
























A lot of your pictures were taken out and about at different locations in Germany as opposed to showing places abroad. What do you like most about traveling within the country?

I love traveling to foreign countries - especially in East Europe. But I think that the country I live in is already quite big, and I haven’t had the chance or time to explore it entirely. So I am trying to gather as many impressions as possible by visiting different places in Germany – doesn’t matter if they can be considered ‘nice’ or not. A lot of my friends are spread all over the country right now, and there is always a reason to visit them and their surroundings.


And among all the places you've visited lately, which one would you say has inspired you the most?

Last weekend we went to the Baltic Sea. I love the sea in the cold season with the rough climate. Days before our departure I am always very excited. I try to imagine the pictures I would like to take in my head. But when we arrive at our destinations, I most of the times feel like I could photograph everything...
The most inspiring place for me until now was the Sudan, because I felt there was such a different way of life there. Unfortunately I had not yet started taking pictures regularly back then.


Would you say that pursuing photography educates the eye in recognizing little things along the way in everyday life? Or is this rather a premise to become a photographer?

Well, I can only answer for myself, but since I have been taking photographs, I have become more ‘goal-oriented’ when looking at the things around me. But I would not say that that’s a premise to be a photographer, no. I like to view the works of other photographers a lot, and I think that browsing through others’ pictures is what inspires me in terms of how I approach photography.


Do you print out pictures for yourself as well? Or for friends?

Oh yes. When I like a picture I have taken, I often print it out in a bigger format and put it up in our apartment. I love analogue photography and I also love paper. Sometimes I give some of my pictures away. Last year I had the idea of collecting the – in my opinion - best photographs that I had taken over the year in a small book. This is a collection that I put together for primarily myself.


In your opinion, do things like Instagram devalue photographs, or simply change the way they are being presented, used, perceived...? Why do you prefer film?

I'm not sure, really. I am a friend of analogue photography because of the "click and clack" noises and because I love the aesthetic look of images on film. One can achieve very nice results with Instagram or Hipstermatic, of course. But I think it’s only easy to get wonderful pictures with these (filter-) apps as long as you have a ‘good eye’. When I think about me preferring film and not using digital photography now, I wonder if I try to protect myself against this flood of pictures that seems to be everywhere right now.


Are there any insider tips you would give photographers visiting the city you live in?

There are lot of lost places in and around Berlin which might be interesting for people who engage in photography. For example, one can visit the Heilstätten Beelitz, the Teufelsberg, various old railway facilities or factories. I love the parks in the mornings and evenings, so maybe the Tiergarten and the Volkspark Prenzlauer Berg are worth a visit as well.


Are you interested in conceptual photography?

I like the work of Tim Walker, which, in my opinion, is conceptual photography. Sometimes I also start small projects in which I prepend a thought-out plan. I want to work like this more often in the future. Still, I try to collect my memories in an aesthetic way at the same time, so I will always be taking more spontaneous photographs as well.


And is there a project you're working on currently?

Take pictures for my ‘Book of 2012’, I would say.


Do you ever catch yourself making fun of tourists making pictures with their, for instance, iPads and tablets?

Taking pictures with iPads looks very funny in fact, but maybe it's just another way of collecting personal memories.


Would you ever like to work in the film industry?

No, not really. Maybe I would try to take some short films with an 8mm camcorder just for fun.






The book of travels, and memories. Take a look at his work!







1 comment:

estetik said...

photographs are really awesome. Thanks a lot for your good post. estetik