Sunday 8 May 2011

Fabrizio Mingarelli





Fabrizio Mingarelli
Rome, Italy



















What was your first camera and where did you get it from?

My first camera was a creepy Kodak compact camera, my parents bought me for my 14th birthday. I started taking pictures in order to express my feelings with self-portraits. It was a very bad camera, but it was really helpful.


You have been present on a number of online sites and communities: which of these has been or is your favourite? Why?

My favourite is Flickr for sure; there are a lot of inspiring people there. Websites and communities are very important nowadays because they let you know a lot of artists from every country, but I think we have to be careful in using them, because internet and art communities are making us all look equal, without different personalities.


 A lot of artists seem to have a larger artist-contact-group online than in their 'real' everyday life. What's your position on this?

Yes it's true, I know a lot of talented artists online, too, and I think this is a good thing because I can talk and be inspired by an artist from another country in a moment, for example. At the same time, inspiration and influences through other artists are helpful, but they're not so important to me personally, because art has to be personal and instinctive to me.


For pictures: what constitutes the aesthetics of the human body for you?

The human body is beautiful and poetic in every part. I like the harmony and feelings people can express with it. I'm fascinated by faces, hair, legs, hands, movements, skin colours, eyes and more. Amazing things and feelings constitute the human body; we can express happiness, sadness, anger and more with it. This is definitely inspiring to me.


And what draws your attention in photography more: forms or feelings attached to a certain image?

I'm fascinated by feelings for sure. Subjects and light are important elements, but I have seen so many pictures with beautiful subjects and gorgeous lighting detached from any feeling. As I try to catch feelings in my pictures in the first place, I don't mind forms and subjects so much.


There seems to be a very vivid scene of young Italian photographers. Regardless of being part of such a 'scene', what would you say is most 'en vogue' in Italy right now?

If I had to say what is most ‘en vogue’ in Italy right now in photography, I definitely would have to say it’s analogue photography. Analogue media is having a new birth in last years and I’m really happy about it, because from my point of view the digital revolution isn't too positive for photography: I can express feelings that I’m not able to express with my digital camera on analogue rolls. Analogue photography is still the future to me.


How do you plan to implement your engagement in art in your future, professional occupation?

I really hope to become an artist and a real photographer in the future, but now I’m just a wannabe trying to do my best. I'm studying architecture by the way; this is another kind of art I really love. I'm planning to attend some photography classes soon, just to learn more about photography skills but I’m sure that photography is mainly about instincts and inspirations. Nobody can teach you how to take amazing photographs.


Who or what has been inspiring the most lately?

Music and books have been inspiring me since I started taking photographs, but people and light inspire me, too. I like faces, hair, bodies, and expressions; people don't have to be beautiful to be amazing, I like details and I’m inspired by all the gorgeous and different people I can meet walking down the street.


 "Everything is art", would you agree?

Mhmm, no, to me, art is in our eyes, in our feelings and in our minds. Something only can be art if we are able to see art in it.




Burnt red, take a look at his work!





No comments: