Saturday 14 May 2011

Nuria Rius





Nuria Rius
Barcelona, now London, UK


















Do you think that artists should try explaining their work less, but rather leave the commentary/interpretation to their audience? 

I totally agree with that. I don’t think it is really necessary to explain your work. I like it when people have their own opinions, impressions, and read my photography individually. It can be so different from the artists message, and what he or she wanted to express with the art piece can deviate significantly from the perception of the audience. And I think this is a part of art. Some people can like my work and some people can dislike it.


Is there a picture that sums up your photographic ambitions? Even if only currently?

A few of H. Cartier Bresson, I love his superb composition. Like this one, and this one.
Also, some of Diane Arbus like this or this one. And then the magic portraits of Mr Mc Ginley: one two.


Do you see similarities between photographers and movie directors?

Yes, I do. I love cinema. And I think that movies have a very important impact on my photography. Both cinema and photography (and I) love images, so if you like photography you automatically like cinema. In my opinion it doesn’t matter if photography is about static images or if these are in movement. I really like for example film directors who at the same time are photographers, like Larry Clark, Bruce Weber, and cinematographers like Christopher Doyle, Pung-Leung Kwan, and film directors that they do cinema and video clips like Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze…


What is your favorite line from a movie?

This is a difficult question. I have too many… But one of them could be “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”. When I was a child, it was one of my favorite movies! It’s magic, isn’t?


What’s most important in a relationship, no matter of what nature?

Sincerity. First with yourself and then you can be sincere with your friend, your partner or your sister.


And what is better: being left or leaving?

Both cases hurt. If you leave someone, it is because something is not working in your relationship. And it is not easy to do it if you really love.


Best advice ever given to you?

From my grandmother when I started with photography: “Believe in what you love.”


Is there an artist you consider extremely gorgeous as a person himself or herself?

Yes. I really like Paco & Manolo’s work as I like them.


Finally, do you think that it is possible to produce images that arouse absolutely no emotion? 

In my case this happen everyday. Nowadays we are used to see too much information, everything is too fast and I don’t think every image works on you. Not all of them arouse a sensation on me.



Delicate, take a look at her work!






No comments: